Children's classics from Alice in Wonderland to the works of Astrid Lindgren, Roald Dahl, J.K. Rowling and Philip Pullman are now generally recognized as literary achievements that from a translator's point of view are no less demanding than 'serious' (adult) literature. This volume attempts to explore the various challenges posed by the translation of children's literature and at the same time highlight some of the strategies that translators can and do follow when facing these challenges. A variety of translation theories and concepts are put to critical use, including Even-Zohar's polysystem theory, Toury's concept of norms, Venuti's views on foreignizing and domesticating translations and on the translator's (in)visibility, and Chesterman's prototypical approach.
Topics include the ethics of translating for children, the importance of child(hood) images, the 'revelation' of the translator in prefaces, the role of translated children's books in the establishment of literary canons, the status of translations in the former East Germany; questions of taboo and censorship in the translation of adolescent novels, the collision of norms in different translations of a Swedish children's classic, the handling of 'cultural intertextuality' in the Spanish translations of contemporary British fantasy books, strategies for translating cultural markers such as juvenile expressions, functional shifts caused by different translation strategies dealing with character names, and complex translation strategies used in dealing with the dual audience in Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales and in Salman Rushdie's Haroun and the Sea of Stories.
The contents of shared books and materials express the authors' point of view, not FDVN Lawyers'. We back up and store them for academic and non-commercial purposes. We object to using these books and materials for commercial purposes.
- COURSE NOTES: THE ENGLISH LEGAL SYSTEM – CATHERINE EASTON
- CONTRACT FOR ENGINEERS: INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, STANDARDS, AND ETHICS – ROBERT D. HUNTER
- 600 ESSENTIAL WORDS FOR THE TOEIC – LIN LOUGHEED
- EUROPEAN COMPARATIVE COMPANY LAW – MADS ANDENAS AND FRANK WOOLDRIDGE
- FOUNDATIONS OF LEGAL RESEARCH AND WRITING – CAROL M.BAST AND MARGIE HAWKINS
- THE PRINCIPLE OF LEGALITY IN INTERNATIONAL AND COMPARATIVE CRIMINAL LAW – KENNETH S.GALLANT
- PLAIN ENGLISH FOR LAWYERS – RICHARD C. WYDICK, AND AMY E.SLOAN
- Top 5 Gorgegous tourist attractions in Dong Nai
- Is There a Difference Between a Visa and a Green Card
- Top 5 destinations in Kien Giang
- Four Things Immigrants Need to Know When Facing Criminal Charges
- USCIS Updates Policy Guidance on Naturalization, Clarifies Finding of LPR Abandonment
- Top 8 rooftop pools in Ho Chi Minh
- CASE LAW NO.06/2016/AL ON THE CASE OF DISPUTE ON INHERITANCE
- CASE LAW NO.05/2016/AL ON THE CASE OF DISPUTE ON INHERITANCE
- CASE LAW NO.04/2016/AL ON THE CASE OF DISPUTE ON THE CONTRACT ON TRANSFER OF LAND USE RIGHTS