This book is the first full-length examination of the cultural politics at work in the act of translation in East Africa, providing close critical analyses of a variety of texts that demonstrate the myriad connections between translation and larger sociopolitical forces.
Looking specifically at texts translated into Swahili, the book builds on the notion that translation is not just a linguistic process, but also a complex interaction between culture, history, and politics, and charts this evolution of the translation process in East Africa from the precolonial to the colonial to the postcolonial periods. It uses textual examples, including the Bible, the Qur’an, and Frantz Fanon’s Wretched of the Earth, from five different domains—religious, political, legal, journalistic, and literary—and grounds them in their specific sociopolitical and historical contexts to highlight the importance of context in the translation process and to unpack the complex relationships between both global and local forces that infuse these translated texts with an identity all their own.
This book provides a comprehensive portrait of the multivalent nature of the act of translation in the East African experience and serves as a key resource for students and researchers in translation studies, cultural studies, postcolonial studies, African studies, and comparative literature.
The contents of shared books and materials express the authors' point of view, not FDVN Lawyers'. We back up and store them for academic and non-commercial purposes. We object to using these books and materials for commercial purposes.
Lawyers in Da Nang:
99 Nguyen Huu Tho, Quan Hai Chau, Da Nang city
Lawyers in Hue:
56A Dien Bien Phu, Hue City, Thua Thien Hue
336 Phan Chu Trinh, Hue City, Thua Thien Hue
Lawyers in Phu Quoc:
65 Hung Vuong, Duong Dong town, Phu Quoc island district
Lawyers in Quang Ngai:
359 Nguyen Du, Quang Ngai City, Quang Ngai Province.
Lawyers in Ha Noi
Room 501, 5th Floor, No. 11, Lane No. 183, Dang Tien Dong Street, Dong Da District, Ha Noi
Lawyers in Nghe An
No. 19 V.I Lenin street, Vinh City, Nghe An Province
Website: www.fdvn.vn www.fdvnlawfirm.vn www.diendanngheluat.vn www.tuvanphapluatdanang.com
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Phone: 0935 643 666 – 0906 499 446
Fanpage LUẬT SƯ FDVN: https://www.facebook.com/fdvnlawfirm/
Legal Service For Expat: https://www.facebook.com/fdvnlawfirmvietnam/
- COURSE NOTES: THE ENGLISH LEGAL SYSTEM – CATHERINE EASTON
- CONTRACT FOR ENGINEERS: INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, STANDARDS, AND ETHICS – ROBERT D. HUNTER
- 600 ESSENTIAL WORDS FOR THE TOEIC – LIN LOUGHEED
- EUROPEAN COMPARATIVE COMPANY LAW – MADS ANDENAS AND FRANK WOOLDRIDGE
- FOUNDATIONS OF LEGAL RESEARCH AND WRITING – CAROL M.BAST AND MARGIE HAWKINS
- THE PRINCIPLE OF LEGALITY IN INTERNATIONAL AND COMPARATIVE CRIMINAL LAW – KENNETH S.GALLANT
- PLAIN ENGLISH FOR LAWYERS – RICHARD C. WYDICK, AND AMY E.SLOAN
- Top 5 Gorgegous tourist attractions in Dong Nai
- Is There a Difference Between a Visa and a Green Card
- Top 5 destinations in Kien Giang
- Four Things Immigrants Need to Know When Facing Criminal Charges
- USCIS Updates Policy Guidance on Naturalization, Clarifies Finding of LPR Abandonment
- Top 8 rooftop pools in Ho Chi Minh
- CASE LAW NO.06/2016/AL ON THE CASE OF DISPUTE ON INHERITANCE
- CASE LAW NO.05/2016/AL ON THE CASE OF DISPUTE ON INHERITANCE
- CASE LAW NO.04/2016/AL ON THE CASE OF DISPUTE ON THE CONTRACT ON TRANSFER OF LAND USE RIGHTS